Saturday, January 30, 2010

Steakhouse Dining

Phase II | Day Six
Weight Loss: 15.2 lbs

Today was a very busy day of preparation.  It seems that organization is the key to success with this process.  As I mentioned before, I do fell like Desmond from the Dharma Initiative - preparing shots, cutting chicken, and strawberries into pre-packaged portions, etc.  It is a good feeling to be organized.

We purchased a spice rack and filled it with the primary spices we seem to be using.

We are using a lot of garlic powder, onion powder, basil, celery salt - all spices I have utilized in the past.  With this new diet however, I am being exposed to quite a few new spices: Turmeric, Cumin, Marjoram. While they have all been included in meals I have enjoyed in the past - I have not really cooked with them much.

For dinner tonight I had a 4oz filet mignon and grilled asparagus.  To prepare the filet I only used salt and pepper.   From what I have found simple preparation is always better when dealing with good cuts of beef.

The asparagus posed a unique challenge as I typically toss them in some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt/kosher salt and ground pepper.  Since olive oil is not on the approved list, I rinsed the asparagus and then quickly added the spices.  Voila! I was able to make the spices stick without having to add oil.  I tossed them on the grill and after about 10 minutes they were warm, slightly crunchy and DELICIOUS!

When I started this experience, I was really unsure how successful this Foodie would be cutting out all the foods that had enriched my life.  Much to my delight I am finding new and healthy ways of cooking food that still excite me!

No comments:

Post a Comment